Labels

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Fist-Pumpin Thursdays

It's finally here.  Season 3 of Jersey Shore... in Seaside Heights, Jersey!  I'm a huge juicehead for this show and I'm so happy it showed people in the south that fist pumping is cool. (Before, I got a lot of awkward stares).  While I am no guidette, I can definitely relate to having an Italian background.  In fact, I'm only a third generation American, thanks to my great-grand parents.  So in honor of the biggest resurgence in interest of Italians since Sopranos, tonight will be Italian night!
The fiance and I will be mange-ing some spaghetti with red gravy and meatballs while we watch the season premiere of Jersey Shore.  In fact, every Thursday will be Italian night with recipes included!  Now, this isn't a new recipe, but it's a classic.  It's a lot easier to make marinara sauce than you might expect.  I don't go as far as starting with fresh whole tomatoes, but I think you'll be pleased with the results.  I give this marinara recipe a 1 for easy, a 5 for delicious, and a 5 for time (only because it has to simmer on the stove for at least 2 hours, prep time is 15 minutes).

Marinara Sauce
3 cans of 16oz tomato sauce (I use Contidina brand)
2 cans 6oz tomato paste
Olive Oil (enough to drizzle in pan)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon dried basil

1.  In a large sauce pan, drizzle olive oil on bottom and warm.
2.  Add tomato paste and let warm up (about 5 minutes).
3.  Add tomato sauce.
4.  Fill 1 tomato paste can and 2 sauce cans with water and add.
5.  Add garlic, onion, basil, and cheese and stir.
6.  Bring sauce to boil over medium heat.
7.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2 hours on low heat.
8.  Occasionally stir sauce and add spices as needed (to taste).
That's it!  That's all I do, that's all my mom does, and that's all my grandma does to make some of the best sauce I've ever had.  Ok, maybe I'm biased.  There are a few variations and additions if you want:
1.  Red pepper flakes - makes the sauce a little spicy
2.  Ground meat for meat sauce (brown in olive oil before adding tomato paste)
3.  Less water will make sauce thicker (vice-versa) depending on your preference

Well, boil yourself some water and cook some pasta for your red gravy cuz it's almost
Teeeeeee-shiiiiiiiirt Time! (Jersey Shore)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...