Labels

Friday, January 28, 2011

Those who can't do...

I feel like I did everything "right".   I graduated from college with a degree in marketing and economics.  I earned an internship with Nestle while in college that parlayed into a career upon graduation.  Within a month of graduating from Pittsburgh, I moved home to Cincinnati, visited Houston to find an apartment, moved everything I owned to Houston, said good-bye to everyone I knew, and started working full-time at this mega-huge company.
Before I knew it, I was wrapped up in a career that I wasn't sure I even wanted.  Fast-forward to three and a half years later and you will find me unemployed and searching for a job.  I've shared my job search with y'all and have been opened in the fact that it's hard.  Interview after interview, I felt something was missing.  I was looking for a job to fill my time and not a passion to enrich my life.
Now, I know I complained about my old job, but there was one part of it that I truly loved.  Training new associates.  And not to brag, but I was good at it (at least that's what my trainees said after I told them I had the authority to fire them).  But I felt like I was making a difference.  That's when it dawned on me...
Recently, I enrolled in program to become a certified teacher.  I am so excited.  I'm also very nervous.  I had orientation last night and I can't wait to officially begin.  There's a saying, "those who can't do, teach."  And I'd have to say that in my case, the first part is fairly accurate.  I'm hoping the later is as well.  Nonetheless, I already feel better about this career decision than any other decision I've made in the past.  The problem is that I was 18 when I chose business as my career.  Actually, I was 17 when filling out my college applications and haphazardly checked the business school box.
So I am embarking on a new adventure and I will keep y'all updated as my progress continues on this endeavor.

On another note... Happy Friday!!!! It's 70 degrees here today.  Gabby won't come inside :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...