Labels

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Lotta Frittata

Well, it's 5 days into the new year.  Keeping with my resolution to make one new recipe a week, I am going to tackle a frittata with potato and prosciutto.  This recipe comes from Giada De Laurentiis's book "Everyday Italian".  I love Giada on the food network!  She's so cute and sweet and smart and I'm positive I could never cook like her.  Now, thanks to her book, I can try!  So here is my attempt at her frittata recipe.

Frittata with Potato and Proscuitto- Giada De Laurentiis
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 large eggs
1/4 cup whipping cream*
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 ounces (1/4 lb.) thinly sliced proscuitto, coarsley chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
*I subsituted fat free half and half to cut calories a bit

1.  In 9 1/2 inch diameter non-stick ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
2.  Add onion and sautee until translucent
3.  Add potato, garlic, salt, and pepper and sautee over medium-low heat
until potato is tender and golden (about 15 minutes)
4.  Preheat the broiler.
5.  In medium bowl, whisk eggs, cream, cheese, prosciutto, and basil to blend.
6.  Stir egg mixture into potato mixture in skillet
7.  Cover and cook over medium-low heat until egg mixture is almost set
but top is still runny (about 2 minutes)
8.  Place skillet under broiler until top is set and golden brown (about 4 mins)
9.  Using rubber spatula, loosen frittata from skillet and slide onto plate
10.  Cut into wedges and enjoy!


I really love scales and assigning concrete numbers to abstract ideas.  I decided to use this scale system on my recipes (the recipe rating system).  They will be rank on a 1-5 scale in 3 areas: preparation, taste, and time.  For example:
On a scale of 1-5, where 1 is easy and 5 is difficult, this recipe is a ... 2
On a scale of 1-5, where 1 is gross and 5 is delicious, this recipe is a ... 4
On a scale of 1-5, where 1 is 15 minutes and 5 is an hour, this recipe is a ... 4
I will use this scale/rating system for all my recipes from here on out.  You're welcome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...